Click here for a quote

Instant cover - download your documents and drive away!

Driver eligibility requirements

Here are some typical driver eligibility requirements for temporary and short term van insurance in the United Kingdom.

• Minimum age – usually the driver should be between the ages of 24 and 75 years old. Special policies may cater to drivers that do not fit within this age range.
• Drivers licence – all insured drivers must have a current UK or European Union driver’s licence, usually held for at least 12 months. Sometimes a full driver’s licence from any country will do, but Australia, Canada and the United States are often excluded.
• Driving record – all insured drivers must have not more than six penalty points on their licence in the last three years. Drivers must not have been disqualified from driving in the last five years.
• Insurance record – all insured drivers must not have had more than one fault claim in the last three years.
• Vehicle – all insured vehicles should be permitted for driving using a standard UK driver’s licence and not have been modified. Vehicles should be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, and have no more than eight seats total.

There are companies that specialize in short term van insurance for those who fall outside the normal driver eligibility requirements. For example, some companies may offer temporary polices for the elderly or for banned drivers. Generally because of the greater risk, these policies are more expensive than conventional temporary cover.

Click here for a fast quotation:

Disclaimer Contact Us Privacy Policy  Home

Copyright 2009. is a trading style of Prudent Plus Ltd of Booths Hall, Booths Park, Chelford Road Knutsford Cheshire WA16 8GS. Quotes are provided by Sky Insurance Services Group Limited with whom we have a trading agreement only and who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority no. 469048. We receive from them a commission per policy purchased; this will not affect the premium you pay for your policy in any way.